This is the blog where ART, BASKETBALL SHOES and COMIC BOOKS collide! Welcome and enjoy! - The Shoe Shi

Border 01

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

CUSTOMS: Air Jordan 7 "Spidey"

AJ7 Custom Spidey 01
I have always been interested in owning a pair or two of customized sneakers but haven't found the right opportunity to put in the time and especially the money, until now.

The ball started rolling, so to speak, when I was introduced to CleansneaksPh who I turned to for repair work on my CDP AJIII "Black Cements". We discussed the possibility of doing a "Carmine" custom out of a pair of Air Jordan VII "Orions" since they were all leather and would pretty much serve as a blank canvas.

I was fortunate enough to get the last size 10.5 off the shelves at one of my local Nike shops. It was on sale (which made it easier on my wallet) since the "Orions" really weren't a popular AJ release to the general "sneakerhead" community. And so off to CleansneaksPh they went for a few coats of red Angelus paint.

AJ7 Custom Spidey 02

After a few weeks of anticipation, I got them back. Overall, they looked great but one would definitely know it was a custom paint job since it's hard to hide the paint brush strokes along with some uneven layering. I was able to remedy some of the issues by spraying on an acrylic gloss finish. Not only did the gloss give the red paint some extra shine but it also added a layer of protection from scuffing (I hope) and moisture.

AJ7 Custom Spidey 03

They were suppose to be "Carmine" customs but my three year old son kept saying they looked like Spider-man shoes so hence why I call them my "Spidey" AJVIIs. Now it's time to take them out for a spin and see if the paint will stay on the shoe through the grind of everyday life.

AJ7 Custom Spidey 04

No comments:

Post a Comment